Friday 15 June 2007

So many eggs















With up to four eggs a day from my hens, I have a good long list of friends, neighbours and relatives who are always happy to be given a box of eggs when I have a surfeit. And another good long list of recipes that use up eggs.

Good egg recipes:
  • Omelettes - mushroom, cheese, herb, leek...they're all good
  • Scrambled eggs
  • A chocolate cake - well any cake uses up eggs, but obviously a chocolate cake is my default
  • Huevos Rancheros - a delicious, Mexican, chilli egg dish
  • Bread
  • Mueringues
  • French toast - a particular favourite with C & O, who are allowed to drown the toast in vast puddles of golden syrup
  • Pancakes - fancy, French ones like doilies or fat American ones studded with blueberries
  • Kedgeree
  • An egg curry
  • Egg mayonnaise sandwiches - and if you make your own mayo it uses up even more eggs
  • Lemon curd


My favourite egg recipe at the moment is a version of scrambled eggs that I adapted from Vicky Bhogal's excellent British Asian cookbook
Cooking Like Mummyji .


Asian Eggs

  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten with a splash of milk
  • 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
  • large pinch of chilli flakes
  • small handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp grated mature cheddar cheese
  • 1 toasted pitta bread

Fry the spring onions and chilli flakes gently in a small knob of butter until softened. Tip in the eggs and scramble. At the end, add the coriander and cheese then stuff the mixture into the toasted pitta. Serve with sliced tomato and avocado on the side.

And if you make this for lunch, with eggs laid that morning, it adds a certain feeling of decadence to your midday meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.