Monday 16 July 2007

Come back to mine

Eight years ago, DMC Publishing launched a fantastic series of music compilations called 'Back To Mine'. The idea behind this series was that a well known DJ, musician or band would put together a compilation of music that they would play you if you went round to their house after hours. I love the idea of finding out what my favourite musicians listen to when they are not making music themselves.


G and I have quite a few of the Back To Mine compilations. My favourite of these is the one put together by the Pet Shop Boys. It is a double CD with one disc selected by Chris Lowe and the other by Neil Tennant. The two compilations in this case are very different, with Chris Lowe's being more disco and electronica influenced, and Neil Tennant's full of sumptuous, dramatic tunes. It shows very clearly the different tastes that each of them bring to their collaboration.


If you came back to mine, it would probably be for a long chat on the sofa with a mug of coffee and a slice of homemade cake. I would want to play happy, interesting music that didn't intrude into our conversation. Here is my list of what you would listen to if you came Back To Mine....
  • Stand On The Word by Celestial Choir
  • Moonbeat by LTJ Experience
  • Walking In The Air by George Winston
  • English Summer by Grandadbob
  • Relief by Flipside
  • Mazuzu Dream by Piano Circus
  • Stay Now by Jem
  • Don't You Worry by The Beloved
  • Enchanting by Amba
  • Killin' Kind by Shelby Lynne
  • 100 Billion Stars by Lux
  • 100 by Jon Hopkins
  • Mustt Mustt by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
  • Thank You by Dido

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.