Saturday 29 November 2008

So much sewing

In between taking photos of my shoes last week, I've also been sewing madly.

Anna sent me this charity shop bargain she found - a dressmaking manual published in 1972 (a metric re-issue!). Its awesome!
I was enchanted first by all the photos and drawings - the epitome of weird and eccentric 1970s elegance.



But once I started reading, I could not stop. The manual is crammed with full sized pattern pieces and detailed advice. You could totally teach yourself to sew clothes with this book.

Later in the week, the first edition of Sew Hip plopped through the letterbox. I've been looking forward to this for months now, and I wasn't disappointed. Like my dressmaking manual, it is crammed with patterns, but also interviews, ideas and inspiration. Love it!
.
On Thursday evening I went back to The Make Lounge for another sewing course. This time I did the Knockout Knickers course and brought my two sisters-in-law along for company. We had so much fun and all came away with knickers that fit - amazing!
.
Sewing elastic and stretch jersey is as fiddly as I'd imagined, but I picked up so many tips from the tutor that I'm sure I will have a go at making some more at home. The knickers can be made from printed cotton as well as jersey and I can't get out of my mind the thought that a pair of knickers made from a Kaffe Fassett printed cotton would be an amazing thing to have!
.
Here are the ones I made on the course. I didn't cut the elastic short enough, so they are a little big - they should pucker up a little more around the waist and the leg. Next time I won't be so nervous about making them too small.
.
Finally, I've finished sewing the things I am going to send to Christie for the 2008 Holiday Traditions exchange. I need to put together all the other bits and pieces for her now and then send it all off to South Carolina with good wishes for the holiday season.
.
Then I need to bind C's quilt - its nearly quilted now.
.
And THEN start making Christmas presents for everyone!
.
Blimey.

2 comments:

  1. busy busy, love the frilly knickers, wish we had somewhere near here that did sewing courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous are they??! you are very clever indeed, missis. And now you can make out of terry towelling!x

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.