Friday 3 September 2010

If it is packed away tidily, it is not rubbish

I came back from Switzerland with loads of nice maps, exotic-looking train tickets, timetables, brochures and postcards that I had accumulated while I was away.


I didn't need this pile of paper once I was home, but at the same time it was so evocative of our trip that I could not bear to throw it away.  It sat on my desk for a week - a tottering pile of redundant Swiss information.

And after a while I decided that if it all had a nice folder to live in, it could be stored on a shelf and would no longer need to be described as rubbish.  A paper folder might be seen as temporary over time, but surely a custom-made fabric folder would attach some kind of posterity to these souvenirs?

So this week I made myself a folder to store all these sentimental bits of information in.


There are two large pockets (18cm by 18cm) for postcards, timetables and maps.  And there is one smaller pocket (10cm by 10cm) for train and bus tickets.  The pockets are all lined, and have thick interfacing in them as well so that they stay nice and stiff and do not sag under the weight of the paper. 

I sewed the pockets onto a rectangle of quilting weight cotton (46cm by 30cm).  Then I cut a matching rectangle of leftover quilt wadding and final rectangle of quilting cotton and made a quilt sandwich with them.  I sewed through all the layers along the spine of the folder and then enclosed all the raw edges with binding.  To stop the folder from falling open I added velcro tabs to each corner.


For the front I knew I wanted a label.  I started embroidering Switzerland and the date onto some scrap calico, and then realised I would have to embroider a flag as well.  The Swiss love their flags as the Americans do, and Swiss flags were fluttering from almost every shop, restaurant and house that we saw.  Happily the Swiss flag is much easier to embroider than the American one.


The Swiss use a great deal of black in their designs and crafting so I added a black flourish in as well.  I stitched the label onto the front of the folder, and then added underneath a very short length of some Swiss ribbon that I had brought back with me.  I love this ribbon and how it uses such typical Swiss colours and Alpine flowers.  They use this ribbon on all kinds of traditional clothes, as well as bags, dog leads and cow bell harnesses.  I even saw a bicycle saddle decorated with it.


So the folder is done, and now sits on my shelves making me feel very organised in a Swiss sort of way.  And whenever I want to reminisce about some of the walks we did, I now know exactly where to find that map.
  

18 comments:

  1. Nancy, that is one beautiful idea! Now, I must start sewing little booklets for all my pre-kids travel. Oh no! It's more to do! But defo on my "to-do-one-day" list. How lovely it will be in future years for your two to browse. You think they are scraps, but I once kept a scarpbooks of wrappers and packaging from our holidays as kids, and by God, i'd like that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS idea - and a good way to reduce the size of my fabric stash too. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of your organization!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely. And I'm really relieved, because for a moment I thought you might turn into one of those loopy scrapbookers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea, I love saving tickets and things from holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea, and such a lovely souvenir of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your folders. Such a great idea, and it will be a lovely thing for the children to look back through in years to come. Maybe you should add some photo collages as well? x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic idea, all those little bits and pieces are just as important as the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love that idea. You are a star. I can't wait to go on holiday to collect some momentos so I can make a lovely little floder for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is one excellent idea. Something to sew and something to organise all in one - fabulous. Brilliant idea. Such a great thing to look back on in years to come, too. I am so glad that I'm not the only person who would even consider going to such lengths to make something so pretty and so practical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant as usual! What did we do pre-bloggisme for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos started me reminiscing about our holiday to Lauterbrunnen two years ago - Schynige platte, the train ride up, the alpine garden, the views.... Definitely worth keeping the momentoes of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful makes. A holiday to remember xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect idea (and execution!). Love this, and can't wait to head over to see your photos.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.