Sunday 8 December 2013

A new view

I've worked or studied in the City of London for over seventeen years, and it's one of my very favourite parts of London.  At once medieval and futuristic; both ruthlessly commercial and sweetly charming, there is a buzz about the City that I am still drawn to.  I feel at home there.  And happily for me, the City is also home to the oldest hospital in the world - St Bartholomew's, which is an incredible 890 years old - so I may yet get to work in the City again.

I used to spend my lunch hours happily prowling around the little lanes and quirky corners of the City; I didn't think there was much more left for me to discover.  But of course that couldn't be true.  On Wednesday, my friend Sarah and I walked back to St Paul's station together after a mid-placement review session at the University, and because we were still talking and didn't want to go home yet we did some window shopping, still chatting away and enjoying each other's company.  We found ourselves in 1 New Change, the luxury shopping centre that is all glass and posh carrier bags, and suddenly felt every inch the impoverished middle-aged nursing students that we were.  "Let's go up to the roof terrace," said Sarah, "it's free."

The lift doors opened and I stepped out to the most breathtaking view over the City skyline, with the sun setting behind St Paul's dome right in front of me.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


We had a magnificent view of the new Shard too, as well as other favourites of mine such as the Eye, Battersea Power Station and the Royal Courts of Justice.  Sarah and I pointed out to each other buildings we'd worked in, or buildings we'd visited, and every few minutes I just had to turn around and take another photo of the sky and St Paul's.  I could even lean over the parapet and look over onto the roof of St Bart's.  

It's not often that you get the chance to see somewhere you're so familiar with from a completely different perspective.  The wide skies, the familiar buildings, the striped wispy clouds, the chill winter air...all made me very happy indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~
My friend Matthew camped on this same roof terrace not so long ago - you can read an abridged account of his night  here.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow! what wonderful photos! what a view!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. The best stuff is always free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think of Mary Poppins, you know when they're on the rooftops and London is out there? I was born in London and spent nearly 30 years living there. You gave me a little twinge of homesickness!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.